Catalyzing Drug Safety: Harnessing IoT and Block chain Technology and its Synergy in Pharmacovigilance
The convergence of Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain technologies is catalysing a paradigm shift in the field of pharmacovigilance. This article provides an overview of the application of IoT and blockchain in pharmacovigilance, highlighting their transformative potential in enhancing patient safety and drug efficacy monitoring. IoT devices enable real-time data collection, enabling prompt identification of adverse events, while blockchain ensures data integrity and security. Together, they create a robust ecosystem for pharmacovigilance, allowing for transparent reporting, streamlined adverse event management, and proactive measures to safeguard public health. This paper explores key use cases, benefits, challenges, and prospects of this innovative approach, emphasizing its pivotal role in shaping the future of drug safety and regulatory compliance in the pharmaceutical industry.
2. Dubovitskaya, A., Novotny, P., Xu, Z., & Wang, F. (2019). Applications of blockchain technology for data-sharing in oncology: Results from a systematic literature review. Oncology, 98(6), 403-411. https://doi.org/10.1159/000504325
3. Dubovitskaya, A., Novotny, P., Thiebes, S., Sunyaev, A., Schumacher, M., Xu, Z., & Wang, F. (2019). Intelligent health care data management using blockchain: Current limitation and future research agenda. Heterogeneous Data Management, Polystores, and Analytics for Healthcare, 277-288. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-33752-0_20
4. Ehioghae, E., Idowu, S., & Ebiesuwa, O. (2021). Enhanced drug anti-counterfeiting and verification system for the pharmaceutical drug supply chain using blockchain. International Journal of Computer Applications, 174(21), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.5120/ijca2021921105
5. Jamil, F., Hang, L., Kim, K., & Kim, D. (2019). A novel medical blockchain model for drug supply chain integrity management in a smart hospital. Electronics, 8(5), 505. https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics8050505
6. Manish, Katiyar, D., & Singhal, S. (2021). Blockchain technology in management of clinical trials: A review of its applications, regulatory concerns and challenges. Materials Today: Proceedings, 47, 198-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2021.04.095
7. McGhin, T., Choo, K. R., Liu, C. Z., & He, D. (2019). Blockchain in healthcare applications: Research challenges and opportunities. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 135, 62-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2019.02.027
8. Mokrova, L. P., Borodina, M. A., Goncharov, V. V., Popov, S. A., & Kepa, Y. N. (2021). Prospects for using blockchain technology in healthcare: Supply chain management. Entomology and Applied Science Letters, 8(2), 71-77. https://doi.org/10.51847/zjah7bykpb
9. Tseng, J., Liao, Y., Chong, B., & Liao, S. (2018). Governance on the drug supply chain via Gcoin blockchain. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(6), 1055. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15061055
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.