Nephroprotective effect of virgin coconut oil on rats induced by doxorubicin
Anthracycline doxorubicin (Dox) is a very effective anti-neoplastic agent, which intercalates in DNA and inhibits topoisomerase II. DOX is one of the most common systemic treatments to improve some cancers in adults and children alike, including hematologists and solid tumors. Unfortunately, Dox's clinical efficacy is hampered by dose-related organotoxic (heart, liver, and kidney) potential, which can be life-threatening. Induction of kidney damage using doxorubicin with an accumulative dose of 15 mg/kg for 21 days, with 5 mg/kg once a week. Before the treatment male wistar rats (Rattus norvegicus) was adapted for 14 days then continued with doxorubicin induction and treatment of experimental animals for 21 days. Then on the last day, the treatment of male wistar rats (Rattus norvegicus) was fasted for 18 hours, performed surgery on the test animals. Wistar rats (Rattus norvegicus) male fasted for about 18 hours (not given food, but still given a drink). Male wistar rats (Rattus norvegicus) were anesthetized with ketamine at a dose of 70 mg/kg bb i.v. Male wistar rats (Rattus norvegicus) are then tethered to the board on all four limbs. Blood serum is used for the examination of total urea and creatinine. Based on the results and discussion that has been presented, this study concludes that the provision of 6 ml of virgin coconut oil (VCO) solution in male rats can reduce serum creatinine and urea levels respectively by 1.35 ± 0.02 mg / dL; 83.66 ± 0.57 mg / dL.
2. Agarwal, R.K., & S. Bosco. Extraction Processes of Virgin Coconut Oil. MOJ Food Processing & Technology 2017; 4(2): 47-87.
3. Aggarwal, B., H. S. Lamba., P. Sharma., Ajeet. Various Pharmacological Aspects of Cocosnucifera-A Review. American Journal of Pharmacological Science 2017; 5(2): 25-30.
4. Ahmad, Z., M. R. Sarmidib., R. Hasham. Evaluation of Wound Closure Activity of CococNucifera Oil on Scratched Monolayer of Human Dermal Fibroblasts. Chemical Engineering Transaction 2017; 5(6): 1652-1662.
5. Anzaku, A.A., E.B. Assikong., A. Martin., U. Peter., T.T. Keneth. Antimicrobial Activity of Coconut Oil and Its Derivate (Lauric Acid) on Some Selected Clinical Isolates. International Journal of Medical Sciences and Clinical Inventions 2017; 4(8):3174-3177.
6. Barrett, K. E., Barman. S. M., Boitano. S. B., H. L. Brooks. H. Ganong’s Review of Medical Physiology. 24th Ed. New York, Chicago: McGraw Hill Medical 2012; 673-723.
7. Betts, J. G., P. Desaix., E. Johnson., O. Korol., D. Kruse., B. Poe., J. A. Wise., M. Womble., K. A. Young. Anatomy and Physiology. Houston, Texas: Open Stax. 2013; 1201-1236.
8. Boemeke, L., A. Marcadenti., F. M. Busnello., G. B. A. Gottschall. Effects of Coconut Oil on Human Health. Open Journal of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases 2015; 5: 84-87.
9. Bray, F., J. Ferlay., I. Soerjomataram., R. L. Siegel., L.A. Torre., A. Jemal. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. A Cancer Journal for Clinicians 2018; 68(6): 12-18.
10. Chu, E. danSartorelli, A.C.Cancer Chemotherapy. Dalambuku Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. 11th Edition. International Edition. Editor: Bertram G. Katzung, Susan B. Masters, dan Anthony J. Trevor. Singapore: McGraw-Hill Medical 2019; 6(10): 951-952.
11. Ewer, S. M. Cardiotoxicity of Cancer Treatment: What the Cardiologist Needs to Know. Nature Reviews: Cardiology 2010; 7: 564-575.
12. Famurewa, A. C., O. G. Ufebe., O. E. Nwankwo., G. S. Obaje. Virgin coconut oil supplementation attenuates acute chemotherapy hepatotoxicity induced by anticancer drug methotrexate via inhibition of oxidative stress in rats. Biomed Pharmacother-Elsevier 20117; 8(7): 437-442.
13. Nair, Sabarinath Sankaran; NAIR, Kumarapillai Prabhakaran; Rajendrakumar, Perikinalil Krishnan. Evaluation of physicochemical, thermal and tribological properties of sesame oil (Sesamum indicum L.): a potential agricultural crop base stock for eco-friendly industrial lubricants. International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology. 2017; 13(1): 77-90.
14. Itokawa, H., Q. Shi., T. Akiyama., S. L. M. Natschke., K. H. Lee. Recent Advances in the investigation of curcuminoids. Chinese Medicine 2008; 3(11): 1-13.
15. King, P. D., M. C. Perry. Hepatotoxicity of Chemotherapy. The Oncologist. 2001; 6(2): 162-176.
16. Kumar, P., N. Manjunatjh., M. Basil., K. Bhat. A comparative evaluation of the effect of virgin coconut oil and chlorhexidine mouthwash on periodontal pathogen-an in vitro microbial study. International journal of current research 2017; 9(03): 48062-48067.
17. Lamas, D. J. M., M. B. Nicoud., H. A. Sterle., E. Carabajal., F. Tesan., J. C. Perazzo, G. A. Cremaschi., E. S. Rivera., V. A. Medina. Selective cytoprotective effect of histamine on doxorubicin-induced hepatic and cardiac toxicity in animal models. Cell death discovery 2015; 1(5): 5-9.
18. Lie, S., I. N. E. Lister., E. Fachrizal., Jenny. Cardioprotective Effect of Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) on Rats Induced by Doxorubicin. Journal of inventions in biomedical and pharmaceutical sciences 2019; 3(9): 14-20.
19. Marinda, F. D. Hepatoprotective Effect of Curcumin in Chronic Hepatitis. Journal Majority 2014; 3(7): 52-56.
20. Nasri, H., N. Sahinfard., M. Rafieian., S. Rafieian., M. Shirzad., M. R. Kopaei. Tumeric: A Spice with Multifunctional Medicinal Properties. Journal of HerbMed Pharmacology. 2014; 3(1): 5-8.
21. Nguyen, V. T. A., T. D. Le., H. N. Phan., L. B. Tran. Antibacterial Activity of Free Fatty Acids from Hydrolyzed Virgin Coconut Oil Using Lipase from Candida rugosa. Hindawi Journal of Lipids 2017; 12(4): 1-7.
22. Oseni, N. T., WMADB. Fernando., R. Coorey., I. Gold., V. Jayasena. Effect of extraction techniques on the quality of coconut oil. African journal of food science 2017; 11(3):58-66.
23. Rajagopal, P. L. & V. R. Rajeev. Virgin Coconut Oil-An Updated Pharmacological Review. World wide journal of multidisciplinary research and development 2017; 3(12): 87-92.
24. ReddyA, S. V., J. Suresh., H. K. S. Yadav., A. Singh. A Review on Curcuma Longa. Research journal pharmacy 2011; 5(2):158-165.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.