Phytochemical investigation and anthelmintic activity of various leaf extracts of Bixa orellana Linn.
The present investigation was aimed at investing the anthelmintic activity of Bixa orellena Linn. leaves. The dried leaf powder was subjected to successive extraction with ethanol, ethyl acetate, methanol and petroleum ether extract using Indian earthworms Pheretima posthuma as test worm. Various concentrations of each extracts were tested which involved determination of paralysis time and death time of the worm. Albendazole (10mg/ml) was used as a reference standard. The result of the present study indicates that among all the extract, ethanol and methanol showed dose dependant & significant anthelmintic activity. The ethanol extract showed better activity as compared to reference drug albendazole.
2. Cooke T. The Flora of Presidency of Bombay. Botanical Survey of India, Calcutta. Vol. II. 1967.
3. Naik VN. Flora of Marathwada. Amrut Prakashan, Aurangabad, Vol. 1, 1998.
4. Anon. The cultivation of annatto. Farmer Jamaica 1962; 67(5):156-158.
5. Anon. The useful plants of India. Publications & Information Directorate, CSIR, New Delhi, India 1986.
6. Dendy DAV. Annatto the pigment of Bixa orellana. East African Agriculture and Forestry Journal 1996; 32(2):26-132.
7. Patnaik S, Mishra SR and Choudhury GB. Phytochemical investigation and simultaneously study on anticonvulsant, antidiabetic activity of different leafy extracts of Bixa orellana Linn.International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Archives 2011; 2(5):1497–1501.
8. Selvi AT, Dinesh MG, Satyanet RS, Chandrasekaran B and Rose C. Leaf and seed extracts of Bixa orellana L. exert anti-microbial activity against bacterial pathogens. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2011; 1(9):116–120.
9. Asokkumar K, Jagannath P, Umamaheswari M, Sivashanmugam T, Subhadradevi V and Madeswaran A. Cardioprotective activity of Bixa orellana L. on isoproterenol induced myocardial necrosis in rats. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2012; 5(4):1930–1934.
10. Viuda-Martos M, Ciro-Gomez GL and Ruiz-Navajas Y. In vitro antioxidant and antibacterial activities of extracts from annatto (Bixaorellana L.) leaves and seeds. Journal of Food Safety 2012; 32(4):399–406.
11. Giorgi A, De Marinis P, Granelli G, Chiesa LM and Panseri S. Secondary Metabolite Profile, Antioxidant Capacity, and Mosquito Repellent
Activity of Bixa orellana from Brazilian Amazon Region. Journal of Chemistry 2013; 1-10.
12. Castello MC, Phatak A, Chandra N and Saron M. Antimicrobial activity of crude extracts from plant parts and corresponding calli of Bixaorellana L. Indian J Exp. Biol 2002; 40:1378-1381.
13. Kokate CK, Purohit AP and Gokhale BS. Pharmacognosy. Nirali Prakashan, Fourtyseven Edition 2008: 324-328.
14. Harbone J.B. Phytochemical methods, London, Chapman and Hall, Ltd. 1973:49-188.
15. Trease G.E and Evans W.C. Trease and Evans, Pharmacognosy. A Physician’s Guide to Herbal Medicine. Bailliere Tindall, London Thriteen Edition 1989:912.
16. Mali RG. Indian J. Nat. Prod. 2010; 20(4):15-18.
17. Vigar. Z: Atlas of Medical Parasitology. P.G. Publishing House, Singapore, Second Edition 1984:216-217.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.