Green cure to obesity- A review
The World Health Organization in 1997, described obesity as an epidemic hazard worldwide, based on the data analysis of body mass index since then, obesity incidence increased at an alarming rate and is becoming a major public health concern. Indeed, obesity facilitates the development of metabolic disorders like diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular diseases in addition to chronic diseases. The potential of natural products for treating obesity is under exploration. This may be an excellent alternative strategy for developing future effective, safe anti-obesity drugs. A variety of natural products, including crude extracts and isolated pure natural compounds can induce body weight reduction and prevent diet-induced obesity. Therefore, they have been widely used in treating obesity.
2. S. Rossner, L. Sjostrom, R. Noack, A. E. Meinders, and G. Noseda. Weight loss, weight maintenance, and improved cardiovascular risk factors after 2 years treatment with orlistat for obesity. Obesity Research 2000; 8(1):49–61.
3. S. Grundy. Multifactorial causation of obesity: implication for intervention. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1998; 67:563S–572.
4. C. C. Wang, S. H. Tseng, T. Y. Chien, J. R. Chen, and I. H. Lin. Hypolipidemic effects of three purgative decoctions. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2011; Article ID 249254.
5. W. Xie, W. Wang, H. Su, D. Xing, G. Cai, and L. Du. Hypolipidemic mechanisms of Ananas comosus L. leaves in mice: different from fibrates but similar to statins. Journal of Pharmacological Sciences 2007; 103(3):267–274.
6. Saravana Kumar, A. Mazumder, and V. S. Saravanan. Antihyperlipidemic activity of Camellia sinensis leaves in triton WR-1339 induced albino rats. Pharmacognosy Magazine 2008; 4(13):60–64.
7. R. B. Birari and K. K. Bhutani. Pancreatic lipase inhibitors from natural sources: unexplored potential. Drug Discovery Today 2007; 12(19-20):879–889.
8. Woo S, Yoon M, Kim J, Hong Y, Kim MY, Shin SS, Yoon M. The anti-angiogenic herbal extract from Melissa officinalis inhibits adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and suppresses adipocyte hypertrophy in high fat diet-induced obese C57BL/6J mice. Journal of Ethano-pharmacology 2016; 178:238-250. 9. Meng-Hua Liu, Chun Hay Ko, NaMa, Jing-Yu He. Chemical profiles, antioxidant and anti-obesity effects of extract of Bambusa textilis McClure leaves, Journal of Functional Foods 2016; 22:833-546. 10. Jeong Yong Joon, Sohn, Eun-Hwa, Jung, Yong-Hwan, Yoon, Weon-Jong, Cho, Young Mi, Kim, Inhye, Lee, Sung Ryul, Kang and Se Chon. Anti-obesity effect of Crinum asiaticum var. japonicum Baker extract in high-fat diet-induced and monogenic obese mice. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 2016; 82:35-43. 11. Hsu, Hong-Ming, Chen, Wen-Ying, Pan, Pin-Ho and Mao, Frank Chiahung. Vitis thunbergii supplementation demonstrates an anti-obesity effect in developing obese mice. European Journal of Integrative Medicine 2014; 6(5):581-587. 12. Sung Y.Y, Kim D.S and Kim H.K, Akebia quinata extract exerts anti-obesity and hypolipidemic effects in high-fat diet-fed mice and 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Journal of Ethanopharmacology 2015; 20(168):1. 13. Kim Y.S, Lee Y.M, Kim H, Kim J, Jang D.S, Kim J.H and Kim J.S. Anti-obesity effect of Morus bombycis root extract: Anti-lipase activity and lipolytic effect. Journal of ethanopharmacology 2010; 130(3):621-640. 14. Kim B.S, Song M. Yand Kim H. The anti-obesity effect of Ephedra sinica through modulation of gut microbiota in obese Korean women. Journal of Ethanopharmacology 2014; 152(3):532-539.
15. Neerja Rani, Surendra Kumar Sharma and Neeru Vasundera. Assessment of Antiobesity Potential of Achyranthes aspera Linn. Seed. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/715912.
16. Chandrasekaran Chinampudur Velusami, Amit Agarwal and Vijayalekshmi Mookambeswaran. Effect of Nelumbo nucifera Petal Extracts on Lipase, Adipogenesis, Adipolysis, and Central Receptors of Obesity. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2013; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/145925.
17. Hye-Kyung Choi, Eun-Kyung Choi, Young Pyo Jang and Se-Young Choung. Antiobesity Effect of Codonopsis lanceolata in High-Calorie/High-Fat-Diet-Induced Obese Rats Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2013; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/210297.
18. Feten Zar Kalai, Junkyu Han, Riadh Ksouri, Abdelfatteh El Omri, Chedly Abdelly and Hiroko Isoda. Antiobesity Effects of an Edible Halophyte Nitraria retusa in 3T3-L1 Preadipocyte Differentiation and in C57B6J/L Mice Fed a High Fat Diet-Induced Obesity. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume2013; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/368658.
19. Jang W and Choung S.Y. Antiobesity Effects of the Ethanol Extract of Laminaria japonica Areshoung in High-Fat-Diet-Induced Obese Rat. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2013; http://dx.doi.org/: 10.1155/2013/492807.
20. Mahnaz Kazemipoor, Che Wan Jasimah Bt wan Mohamed Radzi, Majid Hajifaraji, Batoul Sadat Haerian, Mohammad Hossein Mosaddegh and Geoffery A Cordell. Antiobesity Effect of Caraway Extract on Overweight and Obese Women: A Randomized, Triple-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Evidence based complementary and alternative medicine Volume 2013; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/928582.
21. Seika Kamohara. An evidence-based review: Anti-obesity effects of Coleus forskohlii. Personalised Medicine Universe 2016; 16-20.
22. Lee H.S, Yoo C.B, Ku S.K. Hypolipemic effect of water extracts of Picrorrhiza kurroa in high fat diet treated mouse. Fitoterapia 2006; 77(7-8):579-84.
23. Yang R.M, Liu F, He Z.D, Ji M, Chu X.X, Kang Z.Y, Cai D.Y and Gao N.N. Anti-obesity effect of total phenylpropanoid glycosides from Ligustrum robustum Blume in fatty diet-fed mice via up-regulating leptin. Journal of Ethanopharmacology 2015; 169:459-65.
24. Li-Jun Feng, Li-Jun Feng, Chen-Huan-Yu, Ke-Jing-Ying, Jian Hua and Xiao-Yan Dai. Hypolipidemic and antioxidant effects of total flavonoids of Perilla Frutescens leave in hyperlipidemia rats induced by high-fat diet. Food Research Journal 2011; 44(1):404-409.
Copyright © Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.